Category Archives: UN Jobs
UN Jobs in Kenya, Public Information Officer
|Posting Title:||Public Information Officer, P4|
|Job Code Title:||PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Environment Programme|
|Posting Period:||18 August 2017 – 01 October 2017|
|Job Opening Number:||17-Public Information-UNEP-82052-R-Nairobi (X)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
- Take the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of large, complex communications campaigns (e.g. global promotion initiatives, public information programmes for a region, broad-reaching subject specific issues, etc.); where appropriate, work with departments, funds and agencies to develop ways to implement campaigns system-wide and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products. •Identify sources and seeks funding and other assistance for major campaigns. •Provide advice and expertise to managers, senior officers and other public information staff on a range of public affairs issues, methods, and approaches; anticipate and resolve communications/public relations issues/problems. •Develop strategic partnerships with key constituencies to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives; serve as a spokesperson/principal liaison to media organizations, governmental bodies, national groups, private sector organizations, educational organizations, international organizations, etc. •Prepare or oversees preparation of a diverse range of information communications products in support of major campaign initiatives. •Draft complex material for UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books and edits drafts prepared by junior officers. •Evaluate results and impact of communications activities; report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the UN. •Represent the institution in meetings and conferences; fulfills speaking engagements and make presentations to groups on UN activities and advocate issues of concern; organize media coverage and arrange for media contacts, briefings, interviews; organize seminars, lectures, conferences, public events on major issues and events concerning the organization. •Build information networks; plan and oversee maintenance of publicly accessible information materials on the United Nations; plan and develop outreach activities. •Manage publications programme; produce materials for print/electronic/voice/visual media. •Assist in the day-to-day operation of the unit to include participating in coordination of substantive and administrative activities of the unit, interpreting and disseminating policy, providing procedural advice, improving reporting systems, handling operational and administrative queries, preparing budget submissions, establishing and/or coordinating training programmes and monitoring and evaluating results. •May coordinate and direct a team of public information staff and/or mentor and supervise the work of junior officers on specific projects. Perform other duties as may be required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of different aspects of public information and communication. Ability to address a range of issues in the context of political developments, public attitudes and local conditions. Ability to conceptualize, design and implement major information campaigns. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships. Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
•Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
•Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area. Experience in managing global communication campaigns is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Job Title: Programme Assistant (Several UN Jobs)
Organization: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: The Programme Assistant supports the respective section through providing a range of procedural, administrative, and operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring effective and timely delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to programme development, planning and execution.
- Render support to monitoring and reporting of programme results
- Tasked with providing support in resource mobilization
- Support in knowledge management and capacity building
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNICEF Programme Assistant job placement should have completed secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- At least five years (for GS-5) or 6 years (for GS-6) of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience in a large organisation.
- Experience in a developing country and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- Core Values: Commitment, Diversity and Integrity
- Core Competencies: Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results
- Functional Competencies: Analyzing, Applying technical expertise, Planning and organizing, Following Instructions and Procedures.
NB: UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 22nd August 2017